Saturday, October 31, 2015

Messiah Evangelical Lutheran Church

The Messiah Evangelical Lutheran Church is located in Dutch Corner.  It's in a beautiful valley surrounded by hills and farm land.  It's one of the oldest congregations in Bedford County.  You can read more about its history here.

Although the original building is long gone, the current building is in the same location where my ancestors went to worship.  Here's a few pieces of history I've been able to uncover that show my ancestors' involvement in this church:

In Jan of 1760 Johannes Frederick Reighart and Maria Esther Imler (my 6th g-grandparents) were married there.

On 14 Apr 1812  Adam Ickes (my 4th g-grandfather) was confirmed there.

Recorded in an 1819 Record of Contributions: Adam Ickes $1.50, John Ickes Sr. $1.00, John Wisegarver Sr. $3.00, John Lingenfelter $1.00, [John] Frederick Reighert $3.00.

There were a few cars in the parking lot, so I went in to see if I could get a few questions answered about the Lutheran Church in Pleasantville while Brent captured a few images of the current church building.  There were several church ladies there performing various acts of service. They were very kind and extremely helpful. One of them, JoAnn (I think) Hammond, is almost surely related to me through my Hammond ancestors.

The church is located at 741 Messiah Church Road Bedford, PA 15522











It may not be the same structure, but this would be the same scenery my ancestors saw
walking out the front door of the church.



Another view from the front door.

NEXT POST

PREVIOUS POST

All original content, images, commentary, etc. copyright © by Joy Denison 2015-2016.  All rights reserved. All writings, poems, speeches, essays, images, scans, likenesses, etc. by Adam Ickes (b 1845) as well as personal histories, images, and all other content by all persons referenced and discussed within the pages and posts in this blog may not be copied, shared, or reproduced in any way without expressed permission by the owner unless included here from other referenced sources or are historical records already considered to be in the public domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment