Saturday, October 31, 2015

John Ickes and Maria "Mary" Elizabeth Stambaugh Ickes, 5th great-grandparents




I won't go into too much of John's history prior to coming to Bedford County, but I will mention a few things.  He was born in Hanover, York County, Pennsylvania in 1742.  When he was 21 yrs. old he married 16 yr. old Magdalene Stambaugh.  They had 4 children.  Magdalene died sometime in 1772 at the approx. age of 25 . Two years later he married her younger sister, Maria Elizabeth Stambaugh.  Elizabeth was 24 yrs. old when they married. According to future land records she went by the name of Mary as well as Elizabeth.  John and Mary had 5 children. Mary raised her sister's children as well as her own.

John served in the York County Militia in the Revolutionary War.  In 1781 he was listed as a private and it appears he served in the same battalion as his wives' brother, Jacob Stambaugh. In 1785 he was listed as a lieutenant.  The war was over in 1783 and upon his release he was entitled to receive veterans benefits in the way of pension and/or bounty-land grants.  Lieutenants were entitled to 200 acres of public land.  (If you're interested, you can read more about it here.)

Some veterans chose to locate the public land associated with their bounty-land warrants and settle there, but most veterans sold them and simply returned back home.  I have no idea what the actual details of John's benefits or his transactions entailed, but I'm fairly certain his veteran's benefits helped to accommodate his move to Bedford County and the acquisition of land there.

John, Mary, and some of their children came to Bedford County around 1792.  He would have been about 49 years old.  According to early land records, Henry Ickes had purchased land in Bedford County in about 1777 (if I'm reading the record correctly).  Other genealogists tie John to an uncle Henry, his father's brother.  Whether he's related to Henry or not, I think I can safely assume that John was not the first Ickes in Bedford County, but he was my first direct-line ancestor.

John first purchased land in what was called Dutch Corner, a portion of Bedford and St. Clair Townships bordered by the Evitts Mountains on the north and on the east.  It was settled mostly by German immigrants.  You can find out more about Dutch Corner at dutchcornerpa.com.

The application and surveys - here and here, for John's first two tracks of land can be found on the PA State Archives website.  Unfortunately, the surveys show the size and shape of each parcel of land, but there's no information about the exact location.  Bill Bowser of the Dutch Corner History Group put all the surveys together like puzzle pieces and superimposed them onto Google Earth.

Land Application signed at the bottom by John Ickes

With all these resources it wasn't hard to find John and Mary's original Bedford County homestead on a present-day map - provided all the information I had was correct.


One of the neighbors is pretty proud of the neighborhood.  At least we knew for sure we were in the right general area.


A family farm on Oppenheimer Road on the way up the hill to John and Mary's old homestead.


We had to wait for a few pheasants to cross the road.


Some of the views were spectacular!

Here it is!    

This is as far as we dared take our rental car. We think his land went up pretty close to the ridge.

From my research of even more land records it seems that John and Mary sold this farm and bought another (better) farm in St. Clair Township in Bedford County in 1822.  Just a year later he sold the new farm to his son, Adam. I'll discuss more about that on Adam's page.  It also appears from census records that John and Mary continued to live with Adam and his family after Adam took charge of the family farm.  

John's will speaks of his devout Christianity and belief in the eternities:



      "In the name of God amen, I John Ickes of the Township of Bedford and County of Bedford and State of Pennsylvania, considering the uncertainty of this mortal life and being of sound and disposing mind and memory make this my last will and testament first and principally, commend my soul into the hands of Almighty God, hoping for remission of all my sins through the merits of Jesus Christ my blessed Savior redeemer and my body, to the earth to be buried in a Christian like manner, and as for such worldly estate and effects which I shall be possessed of or entitled to at the time of my decease I give and bequeath the same as followeth that is to say, first my will is that all my estate real and personal shall be sold by my Executors and the money ariseing from the sale  thereof to be divided amongst my children – 2nd I have though proper to make one exception in this my last will and testament that is my son Adam Ickes shall have the priviledge of taking my plantation that I now live on at nine hundred pounds and if he does, then Jacob Ickes’ portion to be paid one year after my decease John Ickes in two years, Henry Ickes in three years, Elizabeth Ickes in four years, to have her bed and bedding one cow two sheep and one hundred and fifty Dollars besides her equal share with the rest.  Phillip Ickes in five years Adam Ickes in six years. Margaret Stambaugh Dec’d her share to be divided between her first husbands children viz: John Amich, George Amich, Jacob Amich, Peter Amich and Elizabeth Eyler.  Jacob Amich to have as much as one of his brothers and half as much in seven years.  Peter Ickes Dec’d his portion to be divided equally and wife share & share alike in eight years.  Susanna Cobler Dec’d her portion to be equally divided amongst her children Polly, Isaac, Adam & Michael Cobler in nine years.  Should my son Adam Ickes decline taking my plantation at the price stated then I authorize and empower my Executors to make a good and sufficient Deed of conveyance to the purchaser and my heirs to have their portion at the same time.  And lastly I hereby appoint my son Adam Ickes and John McDonnald Executors of this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all former wills by me made.
"In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the twenty day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty three."  

Mary died in August of 1823, 2 months before John wrote this will.  5 1/2 years later John passed away.  He was 87 years old.  Both John and Mary are buried at Old Union Cemetery in Osterburg, Bedford County, PA.  From her research, Aunt Allie wrote that in a 1934 edition of the Bedford Inquirer, a local newspaper, it was reported, "Work was started last Friday to clean up Old Union Cemetery.  All the weeds, briars and brush are being removed and the ground leveled.  When completed it will be sowed with lawn grass and then kept mowed.  In looking over the cemetery, a headstone was found bearing the inscription - John Ickes, born 1742."

Old Union Cemetery is located on the west side of Highway 869 (William Penn Road) just north of Kansas Street.  (Not to be confused with Trinity United Church of Christ and its cemetery on the east side of Hwy 869.)

John and Mary Elizabeth's grave markers

There are two unmarked grave markers on either side.
The one on the left is a flat stone at ground level and the one on the right looks like a large rock.
They're probably not their infant children given their ages when they moved to Bedford County,
but they could be infant grandchildren.


Many war veterans are buried in Old Union Cemetery



This memorial was erected 50 years after the cemetery clean-up which was written about in the Bedford Inquirer in 1934.


There was a large bush/tree growing in the back of the cemetery with lots of these pod looking things growing on it.
I thought they were cool.


John Ickes: Husband, Father, Christian, Patriot. 

Update: While doing immigration research for a genealogy class I was teaching at a local library, I was searching for evidence of John's father or grandfather's immigration from the Palatine area of Germany/France in the off chance I might actually find something. As expected, I did not find the Ickes immigration, but very unexpectedly I did fine his wives' family's immigration.

Unfortunately, my computer crashed and I lost all of my original research and documentation. But parallel research was done by this family here. (The link probably won't open unless you're logged in to familysearch.org.) From what I remember, it was Magdalena and Elizabeth's father, grandmother and step-grandfather who came to the US from Kuzenhausen France in 1739. Their deceased grandfather was the son of Félix Stambach who had relocated to the Alsace region of France from Moravia (currently the Czech Republic). Félix would have been my 9th great-grandfather.

And here's the really cool part.  Félix Stambach's estate in Kuzenhausen France still exists. And it's a living, working museum called La Maison Rurale de l'Outre-Forêt or The Rural House of the Outer Forest. Pics and info can be found here.




All original content, images, commentary, etc. copyright © by Joy Denison 2015-2016.  All rights reserved. All writings, poems, speeches, essays, images, scans, likenesses, etc. by Adam Ickes (b 1845) as well as personal histories, images, and all other content by all persons referenced and discussed within the pages and posts in this blog may not be copied, shared, or reproduced in any way without expressed permission by the owner unless included here from other referenced sources or are historical records already considered to be in the public domain.

4 comments:

  1. We share a direct lineage to John Ickes. John and Magdalene's fourth child, Peter Ickes, is my link to John. I believe is fathers father, was Johanne Christian Ickes, and his father was Michael Ickes. I saw you had some Harbaugh's mentioned but haven't read into them much yet. My grandfathers name was Donald Harbaugh Ickes, his mothers maiden name was Mary Jane Harbaugh, married to George Washington Ickes. We'll have to get in depth with this if you like sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered this site through a link in Family Search tree for John and Maria and that they are my 6th Great-Grandfather/Grandmother. Wow, thanks for all of this research its fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, I am a descendant of John Ickes through his son, Thomas. Can you tell me where his farm was at? I live about 2 hours away and want to visit it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to my most recent blog post I have directions and even some GPS coordinates to many of the places listed in this blog. John and Mary's first farm was at GPS 40.13364, -78.49119

      Take Oppenheimer Road in Dutch Corner to GPS 40.12878, -78.48666. John's homestead was up the hill to the left on the dirt road. (We didn't attempt to drive it in a rental car and it might be private property.)

      When that was sold they moved in with their son Adam at GPS 40.11483, - 78.33009

      Drive to GPS coordinates above to the end of East Garman Road off of Heritage Road. There is a foot bridge crossing Bob's Creek. Adam and Mary's house would have been somewhere near there by the creek.

      https://rootstrek.blogspot.com/2020/08/top-20-family-history-sites-to-visit-in.html

      Delete