Thursday, January 14, 2016

Conrad Ickes' Will







"I, Conrad Ickes of Pleasantville, Bedford County, State of Pennsylvania being of ill health and of sound and disposing mind and memory calling to mind the frailty and uncertainty of human life and being desirous of settling my worldly affairs and directing how the estates with which it has pleased God to bless me shall be disposed after my decease while I have strength and capacity to do so, do make and publish this my last will, and testament and as to my worldly estate and all the property real and personal or mixed of which I shall die seized and possessed or to whom I shall be entitled at the time of my death or decease, I devise bequeath and dispose thereof in the manner following, to-wit:  1st. I give and bequeath to my wife all the property she brot along with her at the time of our marriage and all the property she has bought and paid for since, namely one cow one sewing machine carpet in the parlor and marble top stand and one chamber set furniture one common bedstead and bedding for two beds set comm. On chairs and one table one bereaw and plated ware spoons, rocking chair (Kane bottom) also to have the cooking stove and pipe and the parlor stove and pipe the sink knives and forks and all such other things necessary for housekeeping also my wife to have the use of the house and lot in which I now reside in for one year after my decease free and also the use of the pasture lot.  Lot adjoining my farm near Pleasantville for the term of one year free also the one third of the income of the farm near Pleasantville.  Namely one third of the grain one third of the hay and one third of the fruit and one third of the potatoes same as y share of the proceeds of said farm for one year after my decease.  And further at the expiration of one year after my decease my wife Mary can have her choice of taking the use of the house and lot in which I now reside and the pasture lot aforenamed. At the rate of sixty dollars per year and in case that she should not choose to do so at the expiration of one year after my decease she is to receive sixty dollars a year annually our of the farm near Pleasantville it being the interest at 6 per cent of one thousand dollars it to be paid to her annually as long as she remains my widow and then in that case the house and lot in Pleasantville and the pasture lot containing five acres more or less to be sold.

"2nd I give and bequeath unto my son Richard W Ickes the mansion farm situated in King Township now in the occupancy of said Richard, he is to have said farm by paying thirty seven hundred dollars for the same.  Richard is to pay my grandson Harry C. Wilt one thousand dollars when he becomes twenty one years of age and if Harry should not live then this share or amount to be equally divided between my sons, namely Adam and Richard, and further Richard is to pay at the rate of four per cent for this amount annually to my wife so long as she shall remain my widow and when Harry becomes of age Richard is still to continue paying my wife as long as she remains my widow Forty dollars a year in this farm.  And further I desire my son Richard W to take charge of my grandson Harry Wilt and care for him after my decease until he becomes sixteen years or old enough to go to a trade, also give him a free school education.

"3rd I give and bequeath unto my son Adam Ickes the farm near Pleasantville adjoining Riley B. Davis and others by paying twenty seven hundred dollars for the same and if Adam should not want the aforesaid farm at the price I have fixed upon it, then my Executor is to sell it to the best advantage in cash or in payments as he may think best and the amount to be paid to my son Adam and further if the farm should not sell for twenty seven hundred dollars, Adam and Richard then to have equal shares after settling up my estate, paying all expenses share and share alike.  My personal property to be sold and all debts to be paid including a note that my wife holds against me at the present time for two hundred dollars.

"4th. I also bequeath to the building of a new Lutheran Church in Pleasantville the sum of two hundred dollars to be paid in manner follows – each one of my sons to pay out of his share one hundred dollars provided the church be built inside of two years from the date hereof of this will.
Lastly I do hereby nominate and appoint my son Richard W Ickes my executor.

"In testimony whereof I the said Conrad Ickes have to this my last will and testament contained on two sheets of paper and to every sheet thereof subscribed my name and to this last sheet thereof I have here subscribed my name and affixed my seal this 21st day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty five.   signed Conrad Ickes


"This is to certify that I Mary Ickes wife of Conrad Ickes after having been duly informed of the contents of the foregoing will of my said husband do accept to take the same after his death in lieu of any other provisions the law might make (namely three hundred dollars law) and do so of my own free will and without any compulsion.  In witness whereof I hereunto subscribe my name and affix the seal the 21st day of February AD 1885.   signed Mary Ickes


"P.S. June 27, 1885.  Now I sold Richard W. Ickes my son a note against Geo. A. Wilt and Lida V. Wilt given June 27th 1877 and Richard gave me one hundred dollars for it Feb. 21st 1885.  Now if Geo. A. Wilt don’t pay this note before Harry C. Wilt becomes 21 years of age Harry C. Wilt must pay Richard W. Ickes or his heirs one hundred dollars with interest from Feb. 21, 1885 for this note.  signed Conrad Ickes


"Now, Jan. 26, 1899, I, Harry C. Wilt, the within named grandchild and legatee of Conrad Ickes, dec’d, having attained full age at twenty one years, acknowledge that I have this day received of and from Richard W. Ickes, devises of said Conrad Ickes, the sum of eight hundred and sixteen dollars and 41 cents which with the note of George A. Wilt and Lida V. Wilt this day amounting to $182.59  is in full satisfaction and payment of the special legacy of One Thousand dollars herein directed to be paid by said Richard W. Ickes to me.  signed Harry C. Wilt



"I, Clarence A. Diehl, Register for the of Wills and granting Letters of Administration in and for said county, do hereby certify that the foregoing copy of the Last Will and Testament of Conrad Ickes, late of Pleasantville Borough, Bedford County, Pennsylvania, deceased, is true and correct, so full, perfect and entire as the same remains of record and on file in said office.  Will Book 6, page 339.  In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the 14th day of March A.D. 1936.  Clarence A. Diehl, Register

_______________________


Wow!  If you took the time to read it that's some kind of long, confusing will!  No wonder his wife Mary decided to take a lump sum of $300 rather than doing all that math and jumping through all those hoops.  

Several aspects of this will is really of interest to me.  First, considering the fact that his grandfather started life virtually penniless, relying on government land grants in payment of his Revolutionary War service, I'm amazed at the wealth and assets Conrad amassed.  If the value he placed on his farms was correct, in 2016 dollars they would now be worth over $170,000.  That doesn't even include the value of his house in Pleasantville, his 5 acre pasture lot in Pleasantville, his livestock, his household goods, and his farm tools.  Considering the size of his grave marker he was probably one of the wealthiest men in the small borough of Pleasantville.  I am in awe as to what could be accomplished in just two generations.

Second, I hate being reminded of the second-class status of women.  He left his wife, Mary, all the stuff she previously owned before they were married and all the things she bought. And then he had to mention the $200 loan she was required to pay back. Unbelievable.

Third, this will makes me feel like I personally know Conrad as he mirrors someone else I know very well - my dad.  It seems to me that maintaining his influence and control over his property, assets, and family members as long as he can - even after his death - was important to him. Other very similar personality traits jump out at me as well.  They both created a much more comfortable lifestyle than that of their parents. They both seemed quite ambitious and worked hard to improve their lives.  They both valued education and provided needed resources so their children (or grandchildren) could be well educated.  Although not explicit in his will, culture at the time Conrad lived would dictate a very patriarchal system.  I'm sure Conrad, just like my dad, maintained complete power and autonomy within their respective homes.

Is it genetic or coincidental?  Is it nature or nurture?  According to the experts the jury is still out.  (Click here for more info.)  Ask me and I'll tell you genetics absolutely has to be part of the equation.

One more interesting thing about the will.  I copied it from a transcription that was done by my Aunt Alle.  The last paragraph she included, which certifies the validity and the recording of the will, was not found in the will book.  I have no idea where that came from.  The strange thing is that it was dated 1936.  He died in 1887.  Why would it take 49 years to finalize probating his will, especially since his two sons died in 1914 and 1917?  Well, while I was searching out other records that might explain it, I came across a piece of history I never would have expected.  You'll have to wait for the details, but let's just say it involves property foreclosure, eviction, unemployment, marital separation, economic depression, adultery, murder, and suicide.  O. M. G.


NEXT POST

PREVIOUS POST

All original content, images, commentary, etc. copyright © by Joy Denison 2015-2016.  All rights reserved. All writings, poems, speeches, essays, images, scans, likenesses, etc. by Adam Ickes (b 1845) as well as personal histories, images, and all other content by all persons referenced and discussed within the pages and posts in this blog may not be copied, shared, or reproduced in any way without expressed permission by the owner unless included here from other referenced sources or are historical records already considered to be in the public domain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment